Prime Astaxanthin Antioxidant & Ocular Support Formula
- A source of antioxidants
- Supports ocular health
- Contains 6 mg of natural astaxanthin
- Uses AstaReal® astaxanthin which ensures maximum potency, purity and stability
- AstaReal is the most studied brand of astaxanthin in the world with over 50 clinical studies
Scientific studies show that astaxanthin (AstaReal) is important for the following:
- Supports cardiovascular health 8, 13, 23, 30
- Helps maintain normal cholesterol levels by helping to maintain normal serum triglycerides and HDL cholesterol levels 8,9,12, 13, 31
- Promotes healthy blood flow to and from the heart, supporting the body’s delivery of nutrients and removal of wastes 4, 12
- Helps maintain normal blood pressure 4, 5, 22, 23
- Protects LDL (bad cholesterol) from oxidative stress, which promotes healthy arteries 8,9,12, 13, 31
- Promotes healthy vision 10, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21
- Helps to prevent oxidative stress in the eye 17, 24
- Helps reduce the occurrence of occasional eye fatigue and eye strain associated with visual electronics 14, 15, 20, 21
- Supports healthy blood flow in the eye, promoting nourishment for the eye and helping to maintain proper eye function 16
- Supports healthy visual focus 14, 15, 20, 21
- Provides powerful antioxidant defense 3, 7, 17, 18
- Promotes healthy skin by improving skin moisture and helping to maintain skin elasticity 24, 28, 29, 30
- Supports muscle endurance and muscle performance by protecting the skeletal muscle from oxidative stress generated by physical activity 6, 11, 26
The aforementioned has not been approved or considered by Health Canada. The aforementioned are findings made in diverse scientific studies regarding AstaReal®.
Gluten-Free – the finished product contains no detectable gluten (<10ppm gluten)
No Detectable GMOs – the finished product contains no detectable genetically-modified organism
Why Prime Astaxanthin is the best!
There are many health supplements available, but only Prime Astaxanthin Antioxidant & Ocular Support Formula gives you the highest-grade astaxanthin in its most clinically-studied amounts. It uses purest and most powerful antioxidants available. AstaReal® uses precision cultivation techniques in state-of the-art facilities, producing only 100 percent natural astaxanthin in a purified, sterile environment. Daily exposure to free radicals — contained within the air we breathe and the food we eat — results in ongoing, long-term physical stress. The widespread oxidative stress they cause to all systems of the body is also believed to be a primary contributor to what we call the aging process.
Prime Astaxanthin works against free radicals by providing powerful antioxidant defense to help protect the entire body on a cellular level. The power of Prime Astaxanthin to fight free radicals is of critical importance, but it must also be delivered to the body in sufficient amounts to be truly effective. Typical astaxanthin formulations contain only 2-4 mg per serving — an amount which falls short in delivering all possible benefits to your body. Prime Astaxanthin Antioxidant & Ocular Support Formula is made exclusively in a 6 mg serving, which is superior for promoting antioxidant for overall health and ocular support. Together, the quantity and the quality delivered by Prime Astaxanthin yields antioxidant benefits second to none.
Astaxanthin (AstaReal ® P2 AF 2%) (6 mg)
Astaxanthin is a carotenoid that gives the reddish pigment to salmon, crab, krill and lobster. It is known for its powerful antioxidant effects and has been shown to be a superior free radical quencher when compared to other antioxidants like vitamin C, coenzyme Q10 and green tea. Astaxanthin’s unique structure includes long chains, which allow it to cover the cell membrane and provide antioxidant protection in all layers, whereas other antioxidants are more limited.
The Japanese are the top consumers of food containing astaxanthin and also have high incidences of heart health among developed countries. In addition, a growing body of scientific evidence points to a strong link between natural astaxanthin and cardiovascular health. There have been 30 cardiovascular-specific research publications, including 10 clinical studies, investigating possible benefits of astaxanthin on both blood lipid levels and blood vessels. These studies have shown that astaxanthin helps maintain normal levels of HDL and triglycerides when consumed orally. Three recent clinical studies support astaxanthin’s ability to help maintain healthy blood vessels. Other recent human studies indicate that astaxanthin supports cardiovascular health. A series of human studies suggest that astaxanthin helps maintain healthy blood pressure by promoting healthy blood flow and vascular tone. Astaxanthin supports cardiovascular health in several ways.
In addition to its effects on general health, astaxanthin promotes healthy visual accommodation and retinal capillary blood flow. The exact mechanism by which astaxanthin supports vision is unknown, though some believe that by promoting blood flow to the ciliary body, it provides nourishment for the ciliary muscles. Astaxanthin is also believed to work promoting normal NF-kB activation by oxygen radicals, which may explain how it helps to alleviate occasional eye fatigue.
What is astaxanthin?
Astaxanthin is a carotenoid that gives the reddish pigment to salmon, crab, krill and lobster. It is known for its highly powerful antioxidant effects and has been shown to be a superior free radical quencher when compared to many other antioxidants. Astaxanthin’s unique structure includes long chains, which allow it to cover the cell membrane and provide antioxidant protection in all layers, whereas other antioxidants are more limited.
Where is the astaxanthin in Prime Astaxanthin Antioxidant & Ocular Support Formula sourced from?
This product uses only AstaReal® astaxanthin, which is manufactured from carefully cultivated microalgae ( Haematococcus pluvialis) in state-of-the-art facilities located in Gustavsberg, Sweden. In contrast to generic varieties, AstaReal astaxanthin is unsurpassed for quality control and consistency in manufacture. Guaranteed for quality and stability, AstaReal astaxanthin is frequently selected for clinical research and testing in nutritional applications.
Who should take Prime Astaxanthin Antioxidant & Ocular Support Formula?
Adults looking for a powerful antioxidant defense especially for people with insufficient antioxidants and carotenoids in their diet. Since this product is a source of antioxidants, this product helps to fight oxidative stress caused by intense exercise, so it is ideal for anyone who wants to recover from exercise. This product is also great for people who want healthy ocular health (vision).
Why is this product placed in the Prime product line?
Astaxanthin is an extremely powerful anti-aging antioxidant in terms of the organs and systems it supports. While the benefits it offers can be enjoyed by anyone, it is most likely to benefit that segment of the population over the age of 40.
What is the recommended serving of Prime Astaxanthin Antioxidant & Ocular Support Formula?
The recommended serving for adults over the age of 18 is one 6 mg softgel per day.
Is Astaxanthin Antioxidant & Ocular Support Formula suitable for use by both men and women?
Yes. Astaxanthin is beneficial for both men and women. Please read the product label for any product warnings.
Does Prime Astaxanthin Antioxidant & Ocular Support Formula need to be taken on an empty stomach?
No. In fact, it is recommended that this product be taken along with a meal for optimal absorption.
Which products are best combined with Prime Astaxanthin Antioxidant & Ocular Support Formula?
Prime Astaxanthin can be combined with products, such as Isotonix Multivitamin, Isotonix Resveratrol, Isotonix Vision Formula, and Heart Health Essential Omega III.
Can Prime Astaxanthin Antioxidant & Ocular Support Formula be taken by people who are allergic to shellfish?
Yes. Although astaxanthin is present in shellfish, Prime Astaxanthin does not use shellfish as a source of ingredients. Prime Astaxanthin uses only AstaReal astaxanthin, which is extracted from cultivated microalgae within indoor facilities — a carefully controlled environment.
- Aoi, W., et al. Astaxanthin improves muscle lipid metabolism in exercise via inhibitory effect of oxidative CPT I modification. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Com. 366:892–897, 2008.
- Camera, E., et al. Astaxanthin, canthaxanthin and beta-carotene differently affect UVA-induced oxidative damage and expression of oxidative stress-responsive enzymes. Exp Dermatol. 18(3):222-31, 2009.
- Choi et al. Effects of astaxanthin on oxidative stress in overweight and obese adults. Phytother Research (in-press), 2011.
- Hussein, G., et al. Antihypertensive potential and mechanism of action of astaxanthin: II. Vascular reactivity and hemorheology in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Biol Pharm Bull. 28(6):967-971, 2005.
- Hussein, G., et al. Antihypertensive and neuroprotective effects of astaxanthin in experimental animals. Biol Pharm Bull. 28(1):47-52, 2005.
- Ikeuchi, M., et al. Effects of astaxanthin supplementation on exercise-induced fatigue in mice. Bio. Pharm. Bull. 29(10):2106-2110, 2006.
- Iwabayashi, et al. Efficacy and safety of eight-week treatment with astaxanthin in individuals screened for increased oxidative stress burden. Journal of Anti-Aging Medicine. 6(4):15-21, 2009.
- Iwamoto, et al., (2000). Inhibition of low-density lipoprotein oxidation by astaxanthin. Journal of Atherosclerosis Thrombosis. 7(4):216-22, 2000.
- Karppi, et al. Effects of astaxanthin supplementation on lipid peroxidation. Int J Vitam Nutr. Jan; 77 (1): 3-11, 2007.
- Kenji, S., et al. Effect of astaxanthin on accommodation and asthenopia. Efficacy-induced study in healthy volunteers. Journal of Clinical Therapeutics and Medicines. 21(6): 637-650, 2005.
- Malmsten, C. and Lignell, A. Dietary supplementation with astaxanthin rich algal meal improves muscle endurance – a double blind study on male students. Carotenoid Science. 13:20-22, 2008.
- Matsuyama, et al. A safety study on the long-term consumption of astaxanthin in healthy human volunteer. Japanese Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medicine. (7):43-50, 2010.
- Miyawaki, et al. Effects of astaxanthin on human blood rheology. Journal of Clinical Therapeutics and Medicines. 21(4):421-429, 2005.
- Nagaki, Y., et al. The supplementation effect of Astaxanthin on accommodation and asthenopia. Journal of Clinical Therapeutics and Medicines. 22(1): 41-54, 2006.
- Nagaki, Y., et al. Effects of astaxanthin on accommodation, critical flicker fusion, and pattern visual evoked potential in visual display terminal workers. Journal of Traditional Medicines. 19: 170-173, 2002.
- Nagaki, Y., et al. Effects of astaxanthin on retinal capillary blood flow in normal volunteers. Journal of Clinical Therapeutics and Medicines. 21(5): 537-542, 2005.
- Naguib, Y. The antioxidant activities of astaxanthin and related carotenoids. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 48(4): 1150-1154, 2000.
- Nakagawa, et al. Antioxidant effect of astaxanthin on phospholipid peroxidation in human erythrocytes. British Journal of Nutrition. (31):1-9, 2011.
- Nakamura, A., et al. Changes in visual function following peroral astaxanthin. Japanese Journal of Clinical Ophthalmology. 58(6): 1051-1054, 2004.
- Nanako, T. and Masayoshi, K. Effects of astaxanthin on accommodation recovery. Journal of Clinical Therapeutics and Medicines. 21(4): 431-436, 2005.
- Nitta, T., et al. Effects of astaxanthin on accommodation and asthenopia. Dose finding study in healthy volunteers. Journal of Clinical Therapeutics and Medicines. 21(5): 543-546, 2005.
- Preuss et al. Astaxanthin lowers blood pressure and lessens the activity of the eroxi-angiotensin system in Zucker Fatty Rats. Journal of Functional Foods. I: 13-22, 2009.
- Ruiz, et al. Astaxanthin-enriched-diet reduces blood pressure and improves cardiovascular parameters in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Pharmacological Research. 63(1):44-50, 2010.
- Santocono, M., et al. Influence of astaxanthin, zeaxanthin, and lutein on DNA damage and repair UVA-irradiated cells. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology. 85(3): 205-215, 2006.
- Satoh, et al. Preliminary clinical evaluation of toxicity and efficacy of a new astaxanthin-rich Hameotoccus pluvialis. J. Clin. Biochem. Nutr. 44: 280–284, 2009.
- Sawaki, K., et al. Sports performance benefits from taking natural astaxanthin characterized by visual activity and muscle fatigue improvements in humans. J. Clin. Ther. Med. 18(9):73-88, 2002.
- Takahashi N, Kajita M. Effects of astaxanthin on accommodative recovery. J. Clin. Therap. Med. 21(4):431-436, 2005.
- Tominaga, et al. Protective effects of astaxanthin against single oxygen induced damage in human dermal fibroblasts in-vitro. Food Style. 21, 13(1):84-86, 2009.
- Yamashita, et al. Cosmetic benefit of the supplement health food combined astaxanthin and tocotrienol on human skin. Food Style. 21. 6(6):112-117, 2002.
- Yamashita, et al. The Effects of a Dietary Supplement Containing Astaxanthin on Skin Condition. Carotenoid Science. 10:91-95, 2006.
- Yoshida, et al. Administration of natural astaxanthin increases serum HDL-cholesterol and adiponectin in subjects with mild hyperlipidemia. Atherosclerosis. 209 (2): 520-3, 2010.
- Zhao, et al. Ameliorative effect of astaxanthin on endothelial dysfunction in streptozotocin-induced diabetes in male rats. Arzneimittelforschung. 61(4): 239-246, 2011.
TLS Product Reviews
Displaying reviews 1 - 3 of 3
by Zhen Yu JimmyW
Amazing products especially for people who are constantly on the computer monitor or mobile screen
Helped my endurance during workouts
Even though this product is marketed as an ocular supplement but I found some studies that state that Astaxanthin helps with endurance during squatting weights. After a full bottle I notice that I am able to rock climb longer with less down time. I would recommend his product along with Thermochome as a pre-workout!
Just Started !!!
Did not take it long enough to have an opinion yet.